Sunday, May 9, 2010

Tesla Roadster Showing at EuroCars: 5-8-2010

I received word that a local car dealership was going to have a showing to let people see up close, and personal, the Tesla Roadster, so this past Saturday, I woke up (not so) bright and early to head to Eurocars US, in Eden Prairie to check it out.  When I arrived, there was already a modest crowd and the Tesla parked out front. 

Seeing the car in person was quite the experience.  I had only seen pictures and read a few reviews on it, but I wasn't expecting something that small.  It was parked next to an Exige, and they were pretty much the same size.  Visually, the car is pleasing to look at, actually rather similar to the Lotus in the lines, with the rear-end reminding me of the K1-Attack from a few years back.  The interior was business as usual, and surprisingly, my 6'0, 210lb, frame could fit in it.  What still surprised me most was the electric power-plant. 

Sound has the ability to change one's perception on something, especially in the car culture.  A big, beefy, V8 certainly evokes a different feeling than an European, or Italian V8.  The exhaust note that my Lexus IS300 barks out does not scream "luxury and refinement," rather, "I'm going to rip your head off, don't mess with me."  The Tesla certainly had the looks down, but when I heard this thing start up, it really threw me off.  Actually, I lied sort of.  When this car started, I didn't hear much of anything.  This car is QUIET.  Maybe I'm new to this whole electric motor thing, but it still throws me off to drive a car around with no sound coming from the engine.  Still, this car had the performance to back up its looks.  The instant response was great, and the handling was nice.  I definitely think the Tesla is changing how people look at electric cars, at least it did for me.  I didn't think you could have a performance-oriented electric vehicle that could compete with your modern day sports cars, but the Tesla certainly does.  Would I plop down the cash on one?  I don't know yet, it's a nice car, but I don't know if it's something I would own.  Still, the experience was great and I thank Eurocars US for hosting such an event.


Please visit Eurocars US here:
Eurocars US

No comments:

Post a Comment