Thursday, May 27, 2010

NC Trip: Rally Cars and Street Cars

There are first times for everything and yesterday was my first time up close and personal with a full blown rally car.  One of Foxglove's good friends races local rallies and has a pretty awesome car to do it in.  Being a Toyota nut, I was very pleased to see that the car of choice is a st165 All-Trac Celica.  Completely decked out for rallying, I couldn't even tell you everything that I saw.  Besides the spec-suspension and the intricate roll-cage, the rest was beyond me.  I was very impressed to say the least.  Unfortunately, the head is being worked on so I was unable to get a ride this time around, so you all will have to deal without seeing a video of me screaming my lungs out.  I was promised next visit though.

Of course there were a few other cars there.  His other toy was a rather mild looking 5th gen F-body, that is until you looked inside.  Completely stripped to the metal (that includes no glass either), this car is all business with a single OMP seat, 10-point cage, oh and the big bottle mounted in the hatch compartment.  Running a stock bottom-end with a nice sized cam and some heads, this nitrous-fed Camaro can certainly get down (a little demonstration proved that).  Surprisingly though, the car is used for road-racing.  I heard some great stories from the owner about some track experiences.

The other car was of course Foxglove's SBM IS300.  At the beginning stages, but I'm sure that he will turn it into something special (with a little help from this husky!).  You know, it's nice to be able to ride in something so mild compared to mine.  I forget how nice these cars are.  Foxglove has a great example and I can't wait to see how it changes over the coming months.  Hopefully soon our two IS300s will finally meet in the metal.

1 comment:

  1. Hey bud, Silver here. You know you're relieved not to ride in the rally car, much as it would have amused me :p

    ReplyDelete